The personality which defines ‘HUMILITY’ and the name which defines ‘CRICKET’ turns 40 today. So On The Occasion of Sachin Tendulkar 40th Birthday today I am going to share 40 Facts about Sachin Tendulkar.
1. God Of Cricket Aka Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar was born on April 24, 1973.
2. Tendulkar was a ballboy during the 1987 World Cup match between India and Zimbabwe at the Wankhede Stadium.
3. His father named him Sachin after the great musician Sachin Dev Burman.
4. Sachin Tendulkar has made appearances at 90 different venues.
5. In November 1993 ,With South Africa needing six runs to win off the last over of their Hero Cup semi-final against India, bowls a sensational over, giving them just three, and India victory.
6. Tendulkar’s record of five Test centuries before the age of 20 is a current world record.
7. Tendulkar is the only player who has 40 wickets and more than 11000 runs in Tests
8. Tendulkar was the first player to be given out by the third umpire when he was given run out during an ODI in South Africa.
9. Tendulkar fielded for Pakistan as a substitute during a one-day practice match against India at the Brabourne Stadium in 1988.
10. In the team bus.Sachin Tendulkar always takes the left windows seat of the front row.
11. Sachin is the only player to score a century in all three of his domestic first-class debuts – Ranji Trophy, Duleep Trophy and Irani Cup.
12. Two wards in Delhi’s Tihar Jail were named after Sachin and Vinod Kambli, after the duo shared a 664- run unbroken partnership for Shardashram in a school tournament in Mumbai
13. Sachin’s first man of the match award in a Test was at Manchester in 1990 and he got a magnum of champagne as the prize. Sachin preserved it for eight years and finally uncorked it on his daughter Sara’s first birthday.
14. During the 2007 Lord’s Test, Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe queued up for an autograph of Sachin at the end of the game.
15. Sachin always put on his left pad before his right whenever he is getting padded up.
16 In 1992, at the age of 19, Tendulkar became the first overseas-born player to represent Yorkshire.
17. He has two brothers and a sister. His elder brother Ajit encouraged him to play cricket.
18. In his senior season of 1988, aged 15, he scored a century in every innings he played.
19. In 2002 cricket bible Wisden rated Sachin Tendulkar as the second greatest Test batsman, behind Sir Don Bradman.
20. In 2003 Wisden rated Sachin the greatest ever ODI player.
21. In 2010 he won the ICC Award-Sir Garfield Sobers trophy for cricketer of the year.
22. He was the first cricketer to score 200 runs in an ODI Game, against South Africa in 2010.
23. Tendulkar features in Bradman’s all time Test XI, the only player from the current generation.
24. Sachin Tendulkars is the first to reach 30,000 international runs.
25. Sachin Tendulkars is the first to score 100 international Centuries.
26. Tendulkar is the youngest player to enter the Ranji team at 14 years.
27. Sachin is ambidextrous – he bats and bowls with his right hand, but writes with his left.
28.During the Bombay Ranji team tours, Sachin carried along his textbooks in order not to neglect his studies.
29.According to statistics, Sachin’s best batting position is at no. 4
30. Holds a record for a 664-run partnership with former India player, Vinod Kambli, during an inter-school game in 1988.
31.Sachin has an average of 40.7 while leading as Mumbai Indians captain in Indian Premier League.
32.On 4th June 2012, he became a Member of Parliament when he took his oath as a Rajya Sabha member
33.When Sachin made his Test debut back in 1989, Bhuvneshwar Kumar wasn’t even born, Virat Kohli and Ishant Sharma were a year old, Ravindra Jadeja was on the verge of turning one, Ajinkya Rahane was one-and-a-half years old while Ravichandran Ashwin was three!
34.Zimbabwe is the only country where Sachin hasn’t scored a Test century.
35.Out of Sachin Tendulkar’s 51 Test hundreds, 20 have come in winning causes and 11 have ended in defeats. Twenty of his remaining tons have come in drawn Tests
36.Tendulkar’s first Test victim was Australia’s Merv Hughes
37.Tendulkar is the only batsman to have scored over 2,000 runs in World Cup cricket. He has amassed 2,278 runs in 45 matches.
38.During the game against Pakistan in Ferozshah Kotla, where Anil Kumble scalped his record 10 wickets in an innings, a superstitious Tendulkar, handed Kumble’s cap and sweater to the umpire before the latter began his over. Kumble picked up a wicket each time Sachin did so
39.In 1998, he had his best year in ODI format with 1,894 runs consisting 9 centuries.
40.Sachin was returning from India’s tour of England in 1990 when he met his future wife, Anjali for the first time at the Mumbai airport. He was 17 then.